Over the past few months, I’ve been tracking and mixing my new album, DREAMIST, in my little attic recording studio. Things are really starting to come together and I can’t wait for you to hear how it’s all sounding. These new songs are so meaningful to me, and I hope that they will be to you as well.
Although I have been able to complete the majority of this project on my own, there are certain aspects of finishing DREAMIST that I need help from others with:
Mastering – $1000. The album needs to be mastered by a sound engineer. The purpose of this is to balance the recordings sonically, and to optimize the way the songs sound on different devices. If you think of this album as a car, mastering is like the deluxe car-wash: clean & shiny (super-sealant wax coat included).
Packaging – $500. The album art for DREAMIST is a beautiful watercolour painting, and we will be designing and printing 500 limited-edition, full-colour prints that include a download code of the full-length album. Also, for the first time ever, we are making t-shirts! Really nice ones too.
So, here’s how you can help.
The truth is, this isn’t just about the money. There are many other ways that you can support this album, including sharing my music with your friends and coming to shows. I can’t thank you enough for encouraging and supporting me over the years – I wouldn’t be where I am without all of you.
If you would like to directly support this album financially, please visit my campaign page. I’ve even put together some ‘perks’ that I thought you’d find interesting. All of the items will be mailed out shortly before the official release this fall.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Spring has grown into the greenest of summers and since my last update I’ve made a lot of progress on the new album. Recording has been going slower than expected, but I’m very excited about the way things are sounding. Slow isn’t always bad, and I’m not going to stop until these songs sound exactly the way they need to. It’s gonna be worth the wait, I promise.
Recently, Emma and I had the chance to get away to a beautiful cabin in the woods and it was nice to escape from the lights and noise of the city for a while. I even made some recordings there that I’m hoping to incorporate into the album.
More updates to come!
I’m making a music video and I need your help! This time around I wanted to it to be a collaborative effort where others can be involved. Do you want to be a part of this project? Here are the instructions:
- Film one or more of the concepts below on your cell phone. Interpret them however you want.
- something beautiful
- something broken
- something that thrives
- something funny
- something real
- something bright
- something dark
- something you’re struggling with
- something you’ve made
- someone you’ve learned from
- embracing someone you love
- Submit your clip(s) to email@example.com
- Clips should be approximately 10 seconds long
- Please film in landscape mode
- Include your name so we can give you credit
Can’t wait to work on this with you all. Talk soon!
We made it through the winter. April is finally here and all the birds are talking about it. I just wanted to give a quick update about some exciting things that have been happening this past month.
- March House Show – Thank you so much to those that came out to the house show a few weeks ago. It was an encouraging night filled with sing-a-longs and friendly faces; I loved having the opportunity to play some of the new songs I’ve been working on.
- Evergreen Arts – Last month my good friend Elsa Jayne and I were finally able to announce our new record label, Evergreen Arts. We think we can accomplish much more together and we’re hoping this label will be a really meaningful collaboration moving forward. Please go follow us at @evergreenartskw to keep up!
- New Songs – Something has changed in me recently and I can’t stop writing songs. This has shifted my timeline a bit, as I was hoping to have more recording done by now. However, I’ve been really loving the songs that have been coming out and I think you will too. I’m learning to trust the process. This next record is really starting to take shape (I even have a title now, shhhhhhh..) and I can’t wait to share more as the months go by.
My good friend Lydia Mainville is visiting from The Maritimes and is playing a house show with me in Kitchener this week! Lydia accompanied me on cello for many years and her beautiful melodies are all over my last record. On the night of the house show, we’ll be performing some of my new songs together, and you’ll also have the chance to hear Lydia’s haunting solo show.
This will be my first performance of the year and I hope you can come.
Wed March 8 // 7pm // $10-$20 // 815 Queen’s Blvd. Kitchener
Happy New Year!
This past month I’ve been putting a lot of thought into what songs should be on the next record. To be honest, I wasn’t expecting it to be this difficult. I want this album to feel like a story where each song blends into the other, like the chapters in a book. This has meant making some hard decisions about which songs make it and which ones need to be left behind.
Though it’s been a challenge, I’ve been working on a new batch of songs that I’m really excited about. They’ve helped me get a clearer picture of where this album is headed, musically and narratively.
Recording begins in February – stay tuned.
Welcome to the new website. I’m hoping that this will be a creative space where I can update you on the progress of my next record and share bits and pieces of my life.
You might be wondering what I’ve been up to the past few months. Here are the Coles Notes: In September I married my best friend. In October I climbed volcanos in Hawaii and ate too many tacos in Mexico. November, thankfully, has been a quiet month filled with songwriting, reading, and reflecting. I’ve taken a bit of a break from playing shows this fall and I’m excited to fill you in on what’s to come.
I’m almost ready to start recording my next full-length LP. The songs haven’t come easy this time around, but lately I’ve been feeling inspired. It’s almost like the songs were waiting for me to be ready to write them. Everything is coming together.
As the cold weather creeps in, I’ll be in my attic apartment working on the demos for these new songs, and I think you’re gonna like them.
I’ll be posting here throughout the process, so make sure to check back every once in a while.